Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Drone Following #1: Features and Prospects

I acquired an AR Drone today for a good price.
I'm beginning to brainstorm what kind of projects to take on. I have an upcoming microcontroller project in an electronics class I may now utilize it for. The most interesting aspect to me, and really the selling point is the horizontal and vertical cameras, the horizontal capable of filming up to 720p. I already played around with the AR Freeflight app on both Ios and Android, and I was surprised by the options capable within the camera.

One of the aspects I really want to check out is ROS connectivity. A few people in my lab used these same parrot drones in the lab. I took a look at ar_driver and it appears to be roughly equivalent to a manual version of the AR freeflight app, which is convenient. There's also ardrone_autonomy, which I'll move to after an understanding of the driver.

My first project though I want to take a look at though is classic teleoperation. I like the free app, and it's great to get started, but I have my own gripes with it. First I want to figure out how to use the drone with my computer and then use some joysticks and other controllers. I have in my possession a Xbox 360 controller, and several wiimotes and nunchucks. I've seen a few interesting wiimote teleoperations that I would also like to investigate.

Next, I want to work on some automated following. I imagine this can be done one of two ways; either by human recognition or by relation to some mobile device or controller. I think the latter is clearly easier, so I'll likely be working on it first. However, I certainly want to enable Human Recognition at some point, for that would open up a whole new range of projects.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have anyone made any cool mods to a drone?

No comments:

Post a Comment