Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Building Robots #1: Overview

I'd like to announce a new, long-term project. I won't quite be throwing myself at this per say, but I would like to have something to do on weekends when I'm home, or whenever I just feel like being creative. Some people draw, others make videos, but I would like to start putting together robot frames. I think what I would like to do is to is to create a model of each type of robot, and then continuously improve on each design. I would start with the simplest variety, and gradually build up to the more complicated ones, since I'm of the belief that there are inevitable mistakes to be made, and I'd rather get those out of the way as quickly as possible, in a low-risk situation. Here are some of the models I would like to build:

  • Turtle
  • Rover
  • Walking
  • Arm/Gripper
  • Humanoid
From the progression, one can see the rise in difficulty as you go down the list. For example, a humanoid robot needs to both be able to walk and use its arms, while a turtle robot is pretty much a saucer with wheels. I also like this broad approach because I can be as simple or complicated as I would like. No matter how simple it sounds there, there are still many components to consider. Here's an idea of the workflow of building a robot:

  • Wiring: This is equivalent to the nervous system in a human body, You need wiring that puts into motion the function you wish to complete. This will involve a combination of sensing and the use of motors.Without the wiring, you just have an inoperable frame that's more like a toy.
  • Construction: This will be new for me, but I'll have to construct bodies and frames as well. This will involve creating larger, light frames, as well as intricate work with gears and maybe even plastics. My father has a lot of know-how on this end, and should be able to help make some pieces for the large parts, and I'm sure I can find a way to make ends meet with the intricate parts as well.
  • Programming: Here's the part I enjoy the most, taking this shell you constructed, and giving it life, whether it be through your control, or through autonomous programming. I hope to explore both along the way, although I also enjoy designing controllers.
It seems like a lot of work, but certainly has the makings of a great hobby. I imagine the excitement will build the further I get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment