Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Building Robots #2: The Turtle

I believe it makes sense that the first robot I try to develop is a turtle robot. Turtle robots are simple in nature, not to mention I have a lot of experience with factory made ones, such as the Pioneer 3-DX. I think parts wise it will be the most simple as well.

What I have in mind will basically a smaller version of the Pioneer, using smaller motors. I think all I would need in terms of locomotion would be two small DC motors, and then a caster wheel. I would like the bot to be roughly the size of like a waffle iron, with two tiers of circular plates. the first housing the microcontroller and a little breadboarding room for sensors and the like, and the top being like a plate with a lip for storing anything external, or placing anything on top of it. I would like the top layer to be screwed on or hinged, so that you can easily access the microcontroller. I know this design is bizarre, but this is only an idea. I'll try to gradually get this on paper as I go along.

Programming wise, I will try to first make it teleoperated, of course. I would like to gradually implement autonomous controls, but only once I have a better understand of what's going on. I'll be using ROS for this of this, and I would like to start by connecting to it with different controllers, and then create a unique message system for it, modeled after the pioneer. The teleoperation may require a wi-fi shield, unless I want to use a giant serial cord.

I think I would enjoy stress-testing the payload. One of my favorite features of the Pioneer 3DX was the fact it can carry up to 23kgs, but I always (secretly) wanted to test those limits in the upward direction. I think if I ever seriously develop a full-size turtle, I would like to make one of it's key points a massive payload. As I've said time and time again, I've always considered the Pioneer a roaming footstool, with the purpose of carrying other accessories. So I think that will be my focus for future designs.

Anyways, next time I'm at it, we'll talk about making a DC motor go both ways, and cutting down that circuit to be as efficient as possible, and containable.

No comments:

Post a Comment